Five Cuevas @fivetravels
Three guesses to where I’m going next. Starts with an M. Ends with a U. Has a lechon named after it. #travel
Twenty-something travel blogger Five thinks she has hit the jackpot when she gets invited to glittering Macau for an all-expense-paid bloggers tour. Think majestic old churches, sparkling casinos, exhilarating bungee jumps, and the world’s most unforgettable egg tarts. The trip is practically perfect, except for one little glitch. She gets assigned to be travel buddies with Jesse, the world’s most infuriating photo blogger, and it’s definitely war at first sight.
Will Five let Jesse turn her dream vacation into a total nightmare? Or will falling in love be on the itinerary?
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Thank you to Chrissie for gifting me a signed copy! Having received a copy from the author did not affect my views of the novel.
FYI, All’s Fair in Blog and War won in the 2014 Filipino Readers’ Choice Awards as Best Romance in English. If that isn’t reason enough for you to read this book, then let me list the reasons why you should.
1. Characters. Five is so fun to read! I mean, with a cute and quirky nickname such as Five and the even cuter and quirkier story behind it, I knew I’ll love Five. She’s a bit shy and quiet but when a person tramples on her (AKA closes the elevator door when she yelled to hold it for her), she doesn’t back down and she’ll assert herself. She’s afraid of heights but she challenges herself to bungee jump in Macau. Five is SO my kind of person that it was such a joy to read this story from her perspective.
Jesse as the love interest was sweet and the perfect counterpart to Five’s bit of shyness. He’s a go-getter and Five even finds him arrogant and infuriating at the start. I don’t want to expound on Jesse because seriously, the fun is in getting to know him alongside Five.
Our secondary characters also add spice and even more fun to the reading experience and you’ll love getting to know them too.
2. Travel! If you love traveling or fancy yourself going to Macau, you’ll love this read. I went to Macau a few years back and it was enjoyable to relive all the tourist spots with all our characters. If you haven’t, I’m sure AFIBAW will make you want to jump and get your ass to Macau.
3. Food! Chrissie Peria is a foodie and she actually keeps a food blog and it shows because while AFIBAW’s food descriptions are so mouthwatering. You’ll get the travel itch AND all the cravings when you read AFIBAW.
4. Romance. I mean, PLEASE. Five hated Jesse at first then they got to know each other in Macau. COME ON. Love/hate romance + travel romance = THANK YOU, CHRISSIE. Then that ending? I need a Jesse, okay?
5. THAT COVER. You have to own the paperback of this, guys. (You can contact Chrissie Peria for Philippine residents!) THE PRETTY WILL BLIND YOU. Well, not really but you understand it, right? It’s neat and gorgeous and perfect for the story. Love love this cover. And the title.
Clocking in only 108 pages (in a small paperback too), All’s Fair in Blog and War is such a fun, sweet and breezy read. If you’re looking for something short yet ultimately rewarding to pass the time and make you squeak with all the giddy feels. I highly recommend All’s Fair in Blog and War to travel and romance buffs alike! (And travel romance heehee)
About Chrissie Peria