“You have to kill him.” Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.
Thank you so much to Disney Hyperion for the review copy and to Sami of JKS Communications for letting me be part of the tour. Still, this in no way affected my views of the novel.
OH GOD THAT WAS FANFRICKINGREAT. TOO MUCH TIME TRAVEL AWESOME I CAN’T EVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111
*breathes in* *breathes out* *repeats until I can write this review* *never finishes the breathing exercise* *tries to write the review nonetheless*
Here’s my review right after I finished it:
“I JUST FINISHED IT AND I DON’T HAVE WORDS. THIS IS TOO MUCH. THIS IS WHY I LOVE TIME TRAVEL. THIS IS WHY TIME TRAVEL AND TIME TRAVEL ROMANCE ROCKS. I WILL UPDATE THIS REVIEW IN A FEW HOURS (I PROMISE) WHEN I GET HOME AND HOPEFULLY, MY RIDE HOME WILL LET ME THINK EVERYTHING OVER AND I CAN FINALLY WRITE A COHERENT AND COHESIVE REVIEW.”
After mulling over my feelings, all I can write for my review is still “!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111” and strings and variations of “oh my damn this is so great I can’t event aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa”. So I’ll just list the reasons why this novel rocked my time travel-loving socks off.
1. Characters. The characters in AOY were outstandingly written. You can clearly see how the author put so much effort into writing believable and dimensional characters. You get to know them as if you’ve lived with them your whole life.
2. Action. Wow. WOWOWOWOWOW. Such a fantastic pacing! I was LITERALLY (I am using the word correctly in here) at the edge of my seat. I couldn’t relax while reading AOY because it’s even better than watching an action film. It is that well-plotted and that’s how engaging and thrilling the scenes were. Every time a gun’s in the scene, I was squirming as if I’m face-to-face with the actual gun. Everything felt real.
3. Dual perspectives. All Our Yesterdays was told in the perspectives of Em and Marina, which gives us such a detailed and compelling narrative. Bits and pieces are dangled our way and then we’ll be surprised by those bits and pieces being thrown our way. All we can do is gasp and hang our jaws wide open, gobsmacked by what just happened.
4. Time travel. This is a given. Time travel is such a great genre because there is already an innate conflict even without the romance. Then make it a time travel romance and it will just blow your mind and your heart.
5. Romance. We get to read lots of types of love in here. The childhood love, the worship-love, great love, epic love, brotherly love, love for humankind, love that sacrifices, AOY covers everything. Which is such a feat because even though romance plays a large part in this novel, it never felt cheesy. I never felt like romance was taking all the screentime because this novel has both stomp and romp. I only have praises for Cristin Terrill for how she achieved it.
6. Cover. Seriously. That cover? Sold. And that blurb? That plot? How could you not instantly read it????
7. Ending. SHATTERED MIND. SHATTERED HEART. MIND PUT BACK INTO PIECES. HEART PUT BACK INTO PIECES. I STILL CRIED.
8. I. AM. BEGGING. YOU. I can list up to probably twenty-seven reasons why you should read All Our Yesterdays or maybe more. But please, give it a chance and read it. I am willing to receive your hate if you don’t like it. And if you’re a time travel romance fan, drop everything you’re doing and grab this now. You wouldn’t be disappointed.
With heart-stopping action, adrenaline-rushing scenes, first love, great love, moral dilemmas, sacrifices and time travel awesomeness packed into one captivating and fetching tale, All Our Yesterdays is a tour de force in the time travel landscape. Intriguing and riveting, Cristin Terrill’s debut novel is unparalleled in its magnificence. Brilliant is an understatement. It is a stroke of genius.
And because I need to share, here’s who I imagined as Finn!
Cristin Terrill has a bachelor of the arts degree from Vassar College and a master of the arts degree in Shakespeare Studies from the Shakespeare Institute in Stratford-upon-Avon, UK. She currently lives outside Washington, D.C., where she teaches creative writing workshop for kids and teens. ALL OUR YESTERDAYS is her first novel.
Website | Twitter | Facebook